Code Of Behaviour


1.    Aims:
a)     In devising the code, consideration has to be given to the particular needs and circumstances of this school. The aim is to create an ordered and orderly environment in which pupils can, through developing self-discipline, feel secure and make progress in all aspects of their development.
b)    Every effort will be made by all members of staff to adopt a positive approach to the question of behaviour in the school.

2.    Principles:
a)     The school recognises the variety of differences that exist between children and the need to tolerate these differences.
b)    It is agreed that a high standard of behaviour requires a strong sense of community within the school and a high level of co-operation among staff and between staff, Management, parents and pupils.
c)     Every effort will be made to ensure that the code of discipline is implemented in a reasonable, fair and consistent manner.

School rules:
Safety: For my own safety and that of others-
a)     I should be careful coming to and going from school, particularly when using the school ‘drop off’ zone in the correct manner.
b)    I should always walk while in the school building.
c)     I should remain seated at all times in class and while eating lunch
d)     Bring a note of explanation following absences
e)     I should never play rough in the school yard and always show respect for my fellow pupils.
f)     I should never leave the school grounds without the permission of the Principal.
g)     Mobile phones are not allowed.

Caring for myself:
a)     I should respect myself and my property, always keeping my school bag, books and copies in good order.
b)    I should always be in school before the bell rings at 08.50am, and be ready to participate in formal instruction at 9.00am.
c)     I should show respect for my school and be proud to wear the complete school uniform every day.( except on P.E days or when otherwise instructed by the class teacher)
d)     I should always be aware of my personal cleanliness.
e)     I should always bring a sensible, nutritional lunch to school and observe the schools “healthy eating policy”.
f)     Chewing Gum is not allowed.
g)     I should always do my best in school by listening carefully, working as hard as I can and by completing my homework.



Caring for others:
a)     I should be kind and respectful to teachers and fellow pupils by being mannerly and polite, by taking turns and by remaining silent and orderly in my class line.
b)    I should behave well in class so that my fellow pupils and I can learn.
c)     I should always keep my school clean by bringing unfinished food and drinks, cartons, wrappers, etc... home. I should show respect for the property of my fellow pupils, the school building and grounds.
d)     I should assist in the class cleaning rota.
e)     I should make a special effort to use good manners particularly with civil greetings e.g. Dia agat ar maidin, Slān leat etc..
f)     Be truthful and honest and friendly at all times, thus obeying our school motto.

School Uniform: Definition of:
Boys: Uniform trousers, uniform shirt, uniform jumper and uniform tie.
Girls: Uniform skirt, uniform shirt, uniform jumper/cardigan and uniform tie. Girls are allowed to wear uniform trousers instead of skirt on very cold days only.

Piercing: Piercings for boys are not allowed.
Make up is not permitted.
Bleached Hair is not permitted.

It is vitally important that following recent legislation parents notify the school each time their child is absent, this may be done initially by phone but parents should also send a note of explanation directly to the class teacher. Each Homework Notebook has now allocated pages which contain note templates. Parents will be informed when their child has missed 15 days or more (after 20 days the NEWB must be informed officially).







Clár ama na Scoile

Admission of pupils: 8.50am

School Closes:      Junior and Senior Infants 1:30pm
                               Other Classes 2:30 p.m.

The school cannot accept any responsibility for children who arrive at school before the official opening time at 8.50 am or for children who remain in school grounds after 2:30p.m.

Homework


It is the policy of the school to assign homework on a regular basis, excluding weekends and holiday periods. Parents are strongly advised to take an active interest in their child’s homework and to sign their Homework Journal each night (ensuring that it is completed).

Strategies

(a)Praise may be given by means of any one of the following:
·        A quiet word or gesture to show approval
·        A comment in a pupil’s exercise book
·        A visit to another member of Staff or to the Principal for commendation.
·        A word of praise in front of a group or class.
·        Delegating some special responsibility or privilege.
·        A mention to parent, written or verbal communication.


(b)Disapproval of unacceptable behaviour will be dealt with as follows:
(The nature of the behaviour will determine the strategy)
·        Reasoning with pupils
·        Reprimand (including advice on how to improve).
·        Prescribing extra work.
·        Communication with Parents. (Verbal)
·        Temporary separation from peers and/or loss of privileges.
·        Referral to Principal/Deputy-Principal.
·        Communication with parent. (Written)
·        Suspension/expulsion (in accordance with Rule 130 of the Rules for National Schools as amended by circular 7/88).


Bullying:
I should never bully others. I should never allow others to bully me and if it happens I should tell my parents and my teacher. Bullying is always unacceptable.


The school also has an anti-bullying policy.

As a footnote.  In signing the school official enrolment form the parent/guardian is accepting that their child will abide by the schools Code of Behaviour.